Saturday, September 29, 2012

Baby Quilt :)

I did it! It's done and now I've discovered a new hobby. After months of putting it off and worrying about the technicalities of it.. I've finally made my first quilt and I am oh so proud of it because despite minor hiccups and setbacks its complete and I'm so excited to get started on more.


As a beginner, I decided to go the easy way and quilt in two inch horizontal lines. As you can see, I just eyeballed the two inches. I mean, those lines are purposely crooked I swear. It adds character ;) Then I appliqued the baby's name and used quilt binding to finish it off with this tutorial here

Close up of the applique. Yeah, you can see I need more practice with sewing curves. 

Favorite thing? Picking out the fabric!! I probably spent like two hours at Joann's wandering around the  nursery print until I finally decided on this super cute train pattern for the backing and then coordinating colors for the borders. Hence the little train applique :) Also I did really enjoy the quilting part. Although it was pretty tedious.

Hardest thing? Surprisingly the binding! I think it might have something to do with the fact that I can't cut in straight lines and the quilt layers were a little crooked. It really frustrated me.. and for awhile I didn't understand how to miter the damn corners. BUT its over, I'm done and next time I will definitely make an effort to cut the fabrics cleaner. Next project? A chevron quilt of course! 

No comments:

Post a Comment